Victoria Falls is one of the Seven Natural Wonders of the World.
Statistically speaking, it is the largest waterfall in the world
. This recognition comes from combining the height and width together to create the largest single sheet of flowing water.
When the river is in full flood it forms the world’s largest sheet of falling water, twice the height and one and a half times the width of the Niagara Falls. The local name for the Victoria Falls, ‘Mosi-oa-Tunya’, meaning the smoke that thunders
, is not without reason. Within the shadow of the spray cloud formed by the Victoria Falls a constant rainstorm soaks the land, supporting the delicate flora of the 'Rain Forest'. The Zambezi River is more than 2 kilometres wide when it cascades over the lip of a large basalt plateau and plunges as much as 108 meters.
Victoria Falls is located on the border between Zambia and Zimbabwe, and travellers can access the falls through Livingstone, Zambia or Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe. The falls are also close to the border of Botswana.There are numerous activities to add excitement and adventure to a trip to Victoria Falls:
A safari to Botswana is often not complete without a visit to the Victoria Falls
- Helicopter Tours – The most panoramic and comprehensive view of Victoria Falls comes from the sky above.
- Microlites – These motorised, piloted glider style vehicles also deliver the panoramic views from above.
- Abseiling – Those with a desire for adventure and exhilaration can take advantage of the incredible gorge with a high wire zip or a high wire swing out over the gorge.
- White-Water Rafting – Experience the waves and rapids of the Zambezi through a guided white-water rafting trip.
- Canoeing – Canoeing usually takes place above the falls which allows you to explore the Zambezi River.
- Lion Encounters – This can be done on either the Zambian or Zimbabwean side.
. Pre and post night accommodation combined with safaris within Botswana allow you to take up the opportunity to include more than one destination within your holiday itinerary. Day trips to the Victoria Falls are also available from Kasane.